Engage at Every Age
On April 4, 2018 by Jodi Boyne
Engage at Every Age, the theme of this year’s Older Americans Month in May, emphasizes the many ways older adults make a difference in our communities. You can now access a wide variety of ideas, materials and resources to promote and celebrate this month in your setting.
Here are a few ideas for promoting this important month in your setting or community:
- Share stories of people who exemplify what it means to Engage at Every Age. Try for a mix of individuals, such as older public servants, elder rights advocates, back-to-schoolers or people trying new careers.
- Contact a local school to host a “Senior Day” where older adults speak to students.
- Arrange for students to interview residents and write a short biography. Plan a program where students and residents share the stories, and invite the broader community and local media.
- Ask your social media followers to share their wisdom, tips, and stories online—either using a unique hashtag or by posting to a page or forum you manage.
- Invite community members to a special event, such as a sit-down meal, networking gathering or a special program. Invite a leader from your community to give remarks.
- Plan a gathering for older adults who want to give back, such as collecting clothing or food donations, gardening in public areas, or volunteering to read to young children.