Members Must Issue Certificate of Rent Paid by Jan. 31

All rental property owners, managers or operators must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to each person who rented from them during the previous year by Friday, Jan. 31 unless the property is tax-exempt or if the resident's entire care is paid under certain goverment assistance programs. 

Landlords, including care centers and various types of senior housing that include those with assisted living programs that pay property taxes or make payments in lieu of property tax, must issue the CRP to enable their renters to apply for the Renter’s Refund. 

People who live in senior housing, nursing homes, assisted living or similar settings that are tax exempt are not eligible for the refund.

If a resident’s entire care is paid under certain government assistance programs, they are not eligible for the renter’s refund. Therefore, you don’t need to issue a CRP to any resident whose entire care is paid to the landlord under Medicare Assistance (MA) or Medicaid, General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA).

If the assistance programs pay only part or none of a resident’s care, the resident may be eligible for a Renter’s Refund and you must provide them with a CRP. 

Access information, instructions and CRP forms.

Back to news home »

Next It’s Time to Face Aging MN: This is My Story

Previous Now Available: Electronic Monitoring Consent Forms


No one has commented on this article yet. Please post a comment below.

Add a comment

Members must sign in to comment

You must be a member to comment on this article. If you are already a member, please log in. Not a member? Learn how to join »

Log In