How to Choose
Your search for senior housing or services should involve careful research to find the best option for your health needs, lifestyle and financial resources. As you would with any major life transition or financial investment, be sure to thoroughly research your decision before making a commitment.
Conduct online research, ask for references from family and friends, and absolutely make time to personally visit and compare different senior living options in your area.
How to Choose an Adult Day Services Center
While adult day centers may differ in services and operating hours, they all have a common goal - enabling an adult to maintain independence in the least restrictive environment while ensuring purposeful living and engagement. By supporting families and caregivers, adult day services enable participants to maximize independent living in the community.
- Determine what specific services are important to you as a caregiver.
- Determine your needs as a caregiver by asking these questions.
- Find out what Adult Day Services Offers
- Search your area for an Adult Day Services Center near you
- Make an appointment to visit the center
- Know what to ask
How to Choose Housing with Services/Assisted Living
Before you begin looking for the best place to live as you age, follow these basic tips:
- Know what level of care and support you or your loved one needs and what the senior living community provides.
- Visit the senior living communities you are considering at different times of the day. Talk to the people who work there and the residents. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Use these questions from the Minnesota Board on Aging to help you in your assessment.
- Make a list of the senior living communities you are considering and compare what each has to offer to help make an informed choice on your new home. Consider using mnhelp.info to further assess your options or the Care Options Network.
How to Choose a Nursing Home
For more information about your housing and service options, go to MinnesotaHelp.Info or call Senior LinkAge Line® at 1.800.333.2433.